Mississippi Attorneys Aiding Victims of Spinal Injuries
Spinal injuries can be among the most difficult medical conditions to treat
An injury to your back or spinal column is a terrifying prospect. Spinal injuries are serious events that threaten your ability to work and live independently. Other back injuries often affect the muscles surrounding your spine and vertebrae, and grow more painful with time. Such conditions need expensive long-term treatment.
Corban Gunn Van Cleave represents clients in Biloxi and throughout Mississippi who have been seriously injured and need compensation for medical expenses and other costs. If you or a family member is coping with the effects of a significant back or spinal injury, talk with one of our lawyers to find out about your rights to legal recovery.
What qualifies as a spinal cord injury?
An exact definition of a spinal cord injury can vary, but the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center classifies it as either a temporary or permanent sensory or motor deficit resulting from trauma. In simpler terms, you must have suffered an injury that impaired your ability to feel or move for some period of time due to spinal damage. While many people fully recover, others may lose some ability to move and require extensive rehabilitation. Those who are permanently impaired may need costly living assistance.
Spinal injuries have a variety of causes
Spinal injuries (and most back injuries) are the result of a traumatic event, usually involving sudden, violent movement. Typical causes of spinal trauma and back injuries include:
- Vehicle accidents ― The National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, based at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, tracks injuries to the spine. It found that the majority of spinal trauma was caused by vehicle accidents to both drivers and passengers, accounting for 36.5% of all injuries since 2010. Motorcyclists are especially at risk due to the exposed nature of motorcycle riding.
- Slips and falls ― Whether around the home or in a commercial center, slips and falls are simple accidents that can result in serious injuries. Falls account for more than 28% of spinal trauma annually.
- Acts of violence ― Criminal acts, ranging from fistfights to gunshot wounds, can easily result in neurological damage and permanent injuries to the back or spine. Violence is the cause of more than 14% of spinal injuries.
- Athletic injuries ― Sports are a common source of major spinal trauma. Football, gymnastics and most other activities have the inherent risk of a major injury, and they account for nearly 10% of all spinal injuries.
- Workplace accidents ― Work zones can be very prone to major accidents, and construction or oil rig workers are at particular risk for a major injury.
Spinal damage is serious and often worsens with time. If you or a family member has recently suffered an accident or an act of violence that left you with damage to your back or spine, you may be entitled to compensation for medical and other expenses. Our Biloxi-based lawyers can help you learn more about the recovery process. We serve Hattiesburg, Gulfport and all of Mississippi.
Contact us to learn more about compensation for your injuries and your eligibility
Spinal trauma is a terrifying prospect, and if you or your family is dealing with the aftermath of a serious accident, you may be facing medical bills, missed work time and expensive long-term costs. Corban Gunn Van Cleave is a Biloxi legal practice that helps people throughout Mississippi who have suffered a serious personal injury. Call us at 228.273.4455 or contact us online to schedule an appointment today. We offer free case evaluations, and serve clients throughout Gulfport, Biloxi, Hattiesburg, Moss Point and all of Mississippi.